Initially I am thinking of creating a jelly-like see-through cube to symbolise the air as this is a key part of the process. However testing will be a huge part of this process also. The idea is to have the cold and hot air collide and wobble.
This was an attempt to show the two different bodies of air and how they interact with each other. However on showing this in a tutorial i realised that a lot more effort needs to be made into camera movement and also justifying the correct ways that the air interacts as this is a lot more comical and abstract than what it would naturally be. The feedback helped explain that too me as there was much confusion when i showed this to the group. It was also apparent that as well as the camera movement the framing was also way to close up and things just ended up looking squashed into frame. This is a prototype however and at this stage I am just initially coming into the testing phase to see what works and what doesn’t so this feedback is really priceless.
This was round 2 of prototyping and i paid a lot more attention to particles within the body of air and also how they interact with each other. However the physics system inside C4D made it difficult to really pack them in and creating a seamless border. I also have become aware of how linear it isn’t. By this I mean the 3 act structure remains unclear as there are different shots and angles and the condensation phase is conceptually completely different to scene 1 with the separate hot and cold air. I also had time to experiment with textures and quickly realised that I still wanted to go for a low poly style and therefore the textures kind of didn’t match up with the overall style. Also this type of weather would not be happening at ground level so the whole idea of generating grass became redundant.
Phase 3 –
Initially i found this flock modifier video on youtube and thought it would be a great way to show wind and air without having to encapsulate it in a capsule. A way of controlling a more free flowing environment and have two opposing forces. However upon further inspection (much to my dismay) it only runs on C4D R18 ( a couple of versions newer than what i have installed on my computer) therefore this was irritating but nonetheless i could not use it. However this would not stop me in really understanding and creating more “windy” animations using several different effectors. Downloading a simple plugin would have been a lot easier but i guess this was just another challenge for me to face head on.
The cluster effect i thought would be very useful to show particles however i found that they in fact did not have enough room to show the two elements of hot and cold coming together and mixing. Therefore i sort of combined these two tutorials to give a much nicer open element look and structure to the piece.
I have also managed to integrate a much smoother camera operations that really helps build on the 3 step process. By having one single shot through a constant rising camera it also helps to show proportion and where these chemical interactions are actually happening in comparisons to city level.
I have also managed to seamlessly integrate the clouds further up the timeline so that I can speed up rendering and also keep the same shot throughout the whole film. Problem solving has definitely gone a long way within this project as i have done nothing but repeat processes from different angles and approaches until i find the one that fits. However I have a feeling that this 3rd render will definitely be a lot more structured and factually accurate than the last two and i could be onto a winner.