As well as the control box there was also a massive change in the actual Inspection Machine. This happened because when I mentioned I had made my own inspection machine during a client meeting yesterday the client mentioned that they already had a 3D model of this and asked if i could integrate this in my own animation as using this would make more sense to the the client. As they would have more of an understanding of what was being shown and how to measure it correctly etc. This made perfect sense as C-Tex homemade model was way more detailed (and impressive) than my basic and quickly made model that I have been using in all the prototype scenes so far.
However this was just the start of this complicated procedure. The jpeg above looked amazing, however as this was a proper CAD Model the file structure was practically alien to me. So I had some work to do…
The file was a SOLIDWORKS file: MAIN ASSY INSP M-C.SLDASM.
I had no clue what program to even run this on so of course google was my first port of call as I figured I needed to convert it to .c4d or at the very least a .obj which I was sure also ran on Cinema 4D.
As you can see from the image above all my panicking was for nothing as far as converting it to something else and I wasn’t about to pay for a whole Solidworks program. Therefore I went straight to the online conversion website. Here I was able to convert this file into a .OBJ *PHEW!*
I then tried opening this in C4D. But again that would just be too easy wouldnt it. I then searched how to do this as i was certain it would be able to read it however maybe I was missing something….
And Hey Presto!
It worked and I was surprised at how quickly I was able to solve this problem. I then added the cork style texture onto the rollers. Next up lighting…
The final Outcome….